Home   Sport   Article

Halkirk '2' face derby anguish

By SPP Reporter

Easier access to your trusted, local news. Subscribe to a digital package and support local news publishing.

If the Millbank club play their remaining six fixtures with the steel and verve they displayed on Saturday, they would undoubtedly stave off their first demotion.
If the Millbank club play their remaining six fixtures with the steel and verve they displayed on Saturday, they would undoubtedly stave off their first demotion.

THE big match in week eight of Thurso and District Pool League action was the first Halkirk derby of the season.

Having been idle last week, Halkirk "1" were looking to extend their unbeaten streak in the league, while Halkirk "2" were searching for that elusive first victory in this fixture.

Michael MacGregor got Halkirk "1" off to the perfect start as he grannied Russell Bain. Ryan Henderson levelled the match, then Stevie Elder put Halkirk "1" back in front. The match continued to follow the same pattern as Halkirk "1" would take the lead only for Halkirk "2" to level it back up.

With Halkirk "1" leading 4-3, Bain and Henderson made sure the match went to the deciding game by taking the second doubles. Keith Foubister and Gary Oag then held their nerve to win a thriller for Halkirk "1" and leave Halkirk "2" devastated.

Nearest challengers to Halkirk "1" are the Weigh Inn who hosted a resurgent Comm side. Weigh Inn jumped out to a 2-0 lead courtesy of wins for Robbie MacGregor and David McGillivray.

Comm pulled one back as Chris Sutherland defeated John Kay, only for Peter MacAllister and Alan Robertson to give Weigh Inn a 4-1 lead. Jordan Youngson kept Comm hopes alive by clinching the final singles. Still needing just one game for victory, Kay and MacGregor did the honours for Weigh Inn by winning the first doubles.

The final two doubles were shared for a 6-3 Weigh Inn triumph.

Ashes Bar faced a tough task in their bid to move off the bottom of the league when they travelled to face Top Joe's. Although a lot of the games were close, Top Joe's were far too strong and they swept through the singles and then proceeded to take the first two doubles for an 8-0 scoreline.

With the prospect of the first whitewash of the season on the cards, Ashes Bar managed to save face by winning the final doubles.

Having narrowly lost out to the Weigh Inn last week, Popeye's looked to get back on track as they visited Skinandi's. Graeme Henderson set Popeye's on their way and they were soon 3-0 up with Scott Swanson winning the third singles to give them a commanding lead.

Rian MacGregor then stopped the rot for Skinandi's only for Popeye's to close out the match by winning the final two singles. Skinandi's restored some pride by winning the first two doubles with Popeye's claiming the last for a 6-3 win.

Week eight results:

Halkirk "2" 4, Halkirk "1" 5; Weigh Inn 6, Comm 3; Top Joe's 8, Ashes Bar 1; Skinandi's 3, Popeye's 6.

* In week nine the halfway point of the league is reached as the current top two sides clash in Halkirk and the Weigh Inn do battle with Halkirk "1". Elsewhere, Top Joe's host Halkirk "2"; Skinandi's visit the Comm, and strugglers Holborn and Ashes Bar meet in the Weigh Inn.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More