Home   Sport   Article

Cup revenge is so sweet for Castletown

By Matt Leslie

Contribute to support quality local journalism

Castletown gained their revenge on Staxigoe United when they knocked them out of the Colin Macleod Memorial Cup in a seven-goal thriller.

The sides met in last season's final with Staxigoe winning a one-sided occasion 4-0 – their second successive trophy success.

But any hopes that United had of a repeat were dealt a blow against a Castletown side with a score to settle as goals from Michael Smith, Ryan Forbes (2) and Scott MacDonald sealed a 4-3 win.

Alan Larnach (2) and Jack Steven were on target for defeated Staxigoe.

Elsewhere, Jimmy Budge's strike was enough for John O'Groats to hold off a spirited challenge from Halkirk to win 1-0.

Gordie Swanson of John O'Groats battles with Halkirk's Mark Mackay in the Colin Macleod Memorial Cup. John O'Groats won 1-0. Picture: James Gunn
Gordie Swanson of John O'Groats battles with Halkirk's Mark Mackay in the Colin Macleod Memorial Cup. John O'Groats won 1-0. Picture: James Gunn

Lybster progressed with ease into the last eight as they thumped Keiss 11-0. Billy Cairns (3), Jonah Martens (3), Bobby Gunn, Cameron Mackenzie, Andrew Plowman, Andrew Sutherland and Paul Gordon all netted for the Cow Park side.

High Ormlie Hotspur boss Ewan McElroy was full of praise for his young side as they avenged their league defeat to Watten by demolishing the same team 6-0 thanks to goals from James Mackintosh (2), Marc Keith (2), Liam Dykes and Ryan Sutherland jnr.

McElroy said: "Despite the scoreline, it was not easy as Watten are a much-improved side as we know from when we played them in the league.

"However, we played really well – especially our two 16-year-old full-backs, Euan Macgregor and Grant Mackenzie who were flying down the flanks.

"James Mackintosh was outstanding and our playmaker Ben Gordon was brilliant throughout."

Wick Thistle overcame the windy conditions and Thurso Pentland's bumpy pitch to advance to the next round with a 2-0 win. Colin Henstridge and Ross Davidson were on target for the visitors.

Pentland United are in the quarter-finals after needing extra time to see off Thurso Acks 2-1. Roddy Innes struck first for United only for Sean Munro to level. Innes Mackintosh bagged Pentland's winner.

Also needing extra time were Thurso Swifts who defeated Top Joes 3-1. Nigel Mackenzie, Stuart Gray and Craig Sutherland netted for Acks, with Tops Joes' strike coming via William Cannop.

Wick Groats received a bye into the next round having been drawn against FC Retro who folded before the season started.

Colin Macleod Memorial Cup quarter-final draw

(Ties to be played on Friday, May 3 – all with kick-off times of 6.30pm)

Wick Thistle v John O'Groats

Lybster v Pentland United

Thurso Swifts v High Ormlie Hotspur

Wick Groats v Castletown

(To be played at Castletown to avoid clash with Wick Thistle v John O'Groats tie)


Saturday, April 27

Highland Amateur Cup (3pm)

Pentland United v Thurso Swifts

Invergordon Social Club v Thurso Pentland

Lairg Rovers v Kinlochbervie

Golspie Stafford v Lybster

Watten v Top Joes

Monday, April 29

CAFA Division One (6.45pm)

Lybster v Pentland United

Staxigoe United v Castletown

Tuesday, April 30

CAFA Division One

John O'Groats v Thurso Acks

(To be played at Watten)

Thurso Swifts v Wick Groats

CAFA Division Two

Wick Thistle v High Ormlie Hotspur

Thursday, May 2

CAFA Division Two

Thurso Pentland v Keiss

This website is powered by the generosity of readers like you.
Please donate what you can afford to help us keep our communities informed.


In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More