Home   Sport   Article

Acks get back on track in nine-goal encounter with John O'Groats

By Alan Hendry

Easier access to your trusted, local news. Subscribe to a digital package and support local news publishing.

Acks' Kuba Koziol in an aerial duel with Shaun Forbes of Pentland United during Saturday's Colin Macleod Memorial Cup final in Castletown. Picture: James Gunn
Acks' Kuba Koziol in an aerial duel with Shaun Forbes of Pentland United during Saturday's Colin Macleod Memorial Cup final in Castletown. Picture: James Gunn

Acks recovered from the disappointment of their weekend cup final defeat with a 6-3 victory over John O'Groats in an incident-packed match at the Dammies on Tuesday night.

JOG's Craig Kennedy was sent off for a last-man challenge on 20 minutes and Acks took advantage, racing into a 4-0 lead before the visitors scored a quick-fire double just before half-time.

Acks kept their noses in front in the second half before their keeper Ryan Bain was shown two red cards with five minutes to go.

Scorers for Acks were David Hale (2), Kuba Koziol, Cameron McKechnie, Iain Macrae and Craig Trueman. John O'Groats netted through Tony Miller and Jimmy Budge either side of an own goal.

The Thurso side had been beaten 5-1 by Pentland United in Saturday's Colin Macleod Memorial Cup final in Castletown.

Acks player/co-manager Craig Trueman said: "It was a lot better from us tonight – probably the strongest squad we've had since the first game of the season against Staxigoe.

"The game was quite even at the start but I felt that we were starting to take control and we won a penalty and they got a man sent off. After that we scored another three quick goals.

"We then gave away a couple of soft goals and let them back into it. We managed to score at the start of the second half but again let John O'Groats back into it with another mistake.

"We managed to finish them off with a sixth goal at the end. Fair play to John O'Groats, though – they had 10 men for most of the game but battled away and never gave up."

John O'Groats player/co-manager Grant Budge said: "I was very proud of the boys – it took some effort to stay in the game with 10 men for 70 minutes."

Children's TV presenter Timmy Mallett was among the spectators at the Dammies. In a social media post he said: "Exciting game, goals galore. Happy crowd. Delighted to be here enjoying far north football!"

Pentland United saw off a dogged Lybster side with Murray Mackintosh hitting a hat-trick as the Division One leaders ran out 5-3 winners at Cow Park. Andy Mackay and James Murray were also on target for the Stabbies, with Lybster's goals coming from Gary Weir, Alfie Mackay and Scott Macdonald.

Results – Caithness AFA Division One: Wick Groats 4, John O'Groats 1; Acks 6, John O'Groats 3; High Ormlie Hotspur 4, Wick Thistle 1; Lybster 3, Pentland United 5; Wick Groats 5, Staxigoe United 0.

Division Two: Castletown 3, Swifts 3; Keiss 5, Top Joe's 2; Watten 1, Pentland 3; Keiss 2, Swifts 1; Pentland 2, Top Joe's 1; Watten 2, Castletown 7.

Colin Macleod Memorial Cup final: Acks 1, Pentland United 5 (at Castletown).

Fixtures – Saturday – Highland Amateur Cup, third round (ties involving Caithness clubs): Iochdar Saints v High Ormlie Hotspur (at Culbokie, 11am); Pentland United v Lairg Rovers (3pm); Stromness Athletic v Wick Thistle (noon); Wick Groats v Staxigoe United (3pm).

Monday – Division Two: Castletown v Watten; Swifts v Keiss; Top Joe's v Pentland (all 7.30pm).

Tuesday – Division One: John O'Groats v High Ormlie Hotspur; Lybster v Acks; Pentland United v Staxigoe United; Wick Thistle v Wick Groats (all 7.30pm).

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More