Home   News   Article

Work order for man who threatened to smash officer's face in

By Court Reporter

Get the Courier and Groat sent to your inbox every week and swipe through an exact replica of the day's newspaper

A Wick man who threatened to kill a police officer by "smashing his face in" with his bare hands has been given a chance to turn his life around.

Andrew Harper made the threat during his aggressive conduct towards police at his home in Leishman Avenue, Wick, on November 24, last year, Wick Sheriff Court heard on Tuesday.

Police officers investigating a report of an incident at the accused's home were subjected to a tirade of abuse from him, the court heard previously. Bare-chested Harper adopted a fighting stance as music blared from his sitting room. He was forced back into his kitchen and handcuffed.

As he lay on his back on the floor, the 28-year-old lashed out with his right leg which caught Constable Anna Jones on the right side of her face. Harper's outbursts continued after he was cautioned.

Harper previously admitted charges of assault and threatening or abusive conduct, and a record.

Solicitor Paul Barnett said that the accused had been under the influence of alcohol and drugs at the time. He suffered a stroke four years ago and was said to be in "poor health" struggling to cope with anxiety and depression.

Sheriff Andrew Berry, who saw a background report, said he appreciated the accused had health issues and ordered him to carry out 100 hours of unpaid community work which he should be able to do from home.

In addition, Harper was made subject to supervision and will take advantage of the Skills Programme which will provide him, among other benefits, with behaviour therapy.

Get a digital copy of the Courier and Groat delivered straight to your inbox every week allowing you to swipe through an exact replica of the day's newspaper - it looks just like it does in print!


This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More