Suppliers get chance to meet Dounreay consortia at Wick event
SOME of the biggest names in the global decommissioning market will come face to face with dozens of small and medium-sized businesses in Caithness and Sutherland at an event in Wick on Thursday.
Dounreay’s operator, Dounreay Site Restoration Ltd (DSRL), says it is a great opportunity for local companies to grow their presence in the decommissioning sector – and not just in Caithness.
Thursday’s event in the Norseman Hotel is part of the largest batch of contracts ever let at Dounreay. Over the next four years DSRL expects to let contracts worth around £400 million as it dismantles more of the site.
These works have been bundled up into what is known as a framework and DSRL has appointed six consortia to compete for the packages of work.
Tendering for the first of these contracts – groundworks around the shaft and silo – is already under way.
We’ll be introducing these consortia to suppliers to discuss the range of subcontracting opportunities that exist.
Jane Mackenzie, head of commercial services at DSRL, said: “The consortia which carry out these packages of work will need a wide range of suppliers to support them.
“In Wick we’ll be introducing these consortia to local suppliers and others from further afield to discuss the range of subcontracting opportunities that exist. These consortia involve national and multinational companies so I really hope the relationships that develop can endure well beyond Dounreay.
“Building up a strong business base here with the ability to compete in markets elsewhere is really important to us and our sponsor, the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority.
“That is why we’ve also inserted clauses in these framework contracts that seek to maximise the socio-economic gain for Caithness and Sutherland through apprenticeships, graduate placements and so forth.”
The six consortia on the Dounreay decommissioning framework are:
- AECOM E&C UK; MW Hargreaves; Kier Infrastructure and Overseas; Morson Projects; NIS; NSG Environmental; Squibb Group; Westinghouse Electrical Company UK
- Dounreay Decommissioning Framework (DDF) Alliance; Cavendish Nuclear; BAM Nuttall; KDC Contractors; JGC Engineering and Technical Services
- Dounreay Wood Alliance (DWA); Wood; Aquila Nuclear Engineering; GD Energy Services; Orano Projects
- Jacobs UK; Atkins
- Nuclear Decommissioning Ltd (NDL); James Fisher Nuclear; REACT Engineering; Shepley Engineers; WYG Engineering; JBV Demolition; RPS Consulting Services
- Nuvia; Graham Construction; Oxford Technologies; Thompson of Prudhoe