Speeding drivers given warning from sheriff after man caught doing 65 mph in 30 limit
Get the Courier and Groat sent to your inbox every week and swipe through an exact replica of the day's newspaper
A sheriff has warned high-speed drivers in Caithness about the potential for serious consequences.
Sheriff Andrew Berry spoke out after hearing about how Kenneth Harrold (35) broke two speed limits in a matter of minutes on August 5, last year.
Fiscal David Barclay told Wick Sheriff Court on Wednesday that police officers became aware of the self-employed joiner heading north on the A99 out of Wick, at excessive speeds reaching 88 mph at the Quoys of Reiss, where the limit is 60 mph.
Soon afterwards, he turned onto the Lyth road and was observed by the officers travelling at up to 65 mph in a 30 mph restriction.
Harrold, of Doocot View, Wick, admitted a charge of careless driving, reduced from one of dangerous driving.
Solicitor Alistair Gray said that Harrold pulled over as soon as he saw the police behind him and immediately accepted responsibility for his actions.
The solicitor made the point that the past year had been a difficult one for the accused and added that he would not be able to run his business without a licence.
Sheriff Berry told Harrold that he possibly might be aware of the court's concern over the years about drivers travelling at 'inappropriate' speeds that caused 'mayhem'.
The sheriff went on to say that there were stretches of road in the county where speeding drivers were confronted with potential 'hazards' such as bridges or a turn-off where serious accidents had occurred and added: "That is why I have had to consider disqualification."
However, he said it wasn't necessary in Harrold's case as he was a first offender and was "a hard-working individual" with a clean licence.
The accused was fined £325 and incurred four penalty points.