Home   News   Article

Police issue warning to parents over solvent abuse


By SPP Reporter


There is evidence inhaling solvents can have serious medical implications.
There is evidence inhaling solvents can have serious medical implications.

NORTHERN Constabulary has issued a warning to young people across the Highlands about the dangers of solvent/aerosol abuse after a number of cases have been reported to police in recent weeks.

Officers are also aware of incidents of thefts of aerosols and have information youngsters are inhaling such substances.

Police want parents to be aware of the dangers which exist around this activity.

There is evidence inhaling these substances can have serious medical implications for the user and tragically up to 10 young people die in Scotland each year as a result of solvent or lighter fuel abuse.

A 24-hour helpline exists for young people who are dependant on solvents. The site, www.thelost.org.uk, offers people support and encouragement to kick the habit.

A phone number for The LOST (Lee O’Brien Solvent Trust), which was set up by the family of 16-year-old Lee O’Brien, who died after inhaling lighter fuel, is also available – 07910483525.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More