Home   News   National   Article

Man jailed after wheelie bin attack resulted in death

By PA News

Easier access to your trusted, local news. Subscribe to a digital package and support local news publishing.

Judge Lady Scott sentenced Stephen Robbins to 20 months’ imprisonment (Andrew Milligan/PA)

A man has been jailed for 20 months after a confrontation involving a wheelie bin resulted in death.

Stephen Robbins admitted killing Ryan Barrie as a result of the incident on March 1 in Dundee.

The pair were intoxicated when the victim shouted at Robbins about the noise he was making after leaving a bar.

He and his mother, his brother, sister and friends are left forever bereft by his loss
Lady Scott

It resulted in a heated exchange and an altercation which saw Robbins throw a bin at Mr Barrie, who then fell forward and hit his head on a wooden fence.

He was taken home by a friend but refused medical attention and was later found dead.

A post-mortem examination found an acute subdural haemorrhage – pressure from bleeding in the brain – likely to have been caused by Mr Barrie striking his head.

The 35-year-old admitted culpable homicide and was sentenced to 20 months at the High Court in Edinburgh on Wednesday.

In her statement later released, Judge Lady Scott told Robbins: “This is a tragic case. Your actions caused the death of Mr Barrie.

“He was only 39 years of age. You have taken this father from his young son.

“He and his mother, his brother, sister and friends are left forever bereft by his loss.

“On the other hand, I am satisfied that your culpability in the circumstances here was low.

“There was no serious violence or any intent to cause any serious injury.

“You were in the process of leaving when you were asked to do so and you acted on impulse and recklessly when you picked up the wheelie bin and threw it towards the deceased.

“I am satisfied you are appalled by the consequences of your actions and you have genuine remorse.

“You have convictions for assault but these are of some age and at a minor summary level.”

Robbins has been on remand in prison since March 3.

Sentencing was reduced from two years and six months to reflect his early plea and was backdated to March 3.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

Keep up-to-date with important news from your community, and access exclusive, subscriber only content online. Read a copy of your favourite newspaper on any device via the HNM App.

Learn more

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More