Keep dogs safe and happy on Hogmanay
Easier access to your trusted, local news. Subscribe to a digital package and support local news publishing.
For dogs, New Year’s Eve can be scary with loud bangs from fireworks and noisy guests visiting.
Vet Physio, Tilly Wild, has shared 5 tips on preparing your pet:
- Don’t fuss over your dog if they’re scared – this confirms there’s something to be afraid of
- Put your dog somewhere they feel safe like a crate or pen – this will help to calm them
- Provide you dog with lots of toys and treats – this will help to distract them
- Set your dog up in the quietest space possible – this will avoid them becoming stressed
- Set ground rules for any visiting children – this will keep everyone safe and avoid your dog becoming irritated or overwhelmed
More information can be found on the Matalan website: www.matalan.co.uk/christmas/the-pawfect-christmas