Good causes will benefit from Caithness tractor run this weekend
Easier access to your trusted, local news. Subscribe to a digital package and support local news publishing.
Organisers of a tractor run are hoping for a good turnout this weekend for a leisurely journey around the county in aid of good causes.
The event is being held by Caithness Vintage Tractor and Machinery Club on Saturday, August 6, starting and finishing in Watten.
It is open to anyone, and any age of tractor, as long as it is insured and road registered. Admission is £20 with all proceeds going to local charities.
Liz Hewitson, who took over as club secretary recently, said: "We're hoping to get a good turnout of tractors to raise as much money as possible for local charities."
The charities to benefit from the tractor run will be decided at a later date.
Anyone wishing to take part is asked to contact Liz on 07789 710920 to book as numbers are needed for catering purposes.
The tractor drivers are to meet at Bridgend, Watten, at 9am on Saturday, with the first one setting off at 9.30am.
The route will then be:
- Turn right at Bridgend and head up to Watten Mains.
- Turn left and up to the T-junction.
- Turn left pass Ruther Quarry and on to Bower Community Centre.
- Turn right at Bower Community Centre and head down to the crossroads.
- Turn left onto the main road, along past Granton Mains, then turn left and pass Wester Olrig.
- Continue along the road and pass Tister then to Poolhoy.
- Turn left at the junction then right at the next junction and pass Bower Quarry.
- At the T-junction next to HRN, turn left and then take a right up Dunn brae.
- At the T-junction turn right to Mybster Inn and at the crossroads turn left onto the Causewaymire.
- Turn left at Achavanich onto the Rumster road.
- Continue until reaching the main road, then turn left and go through Lybster village.
- Turn left up the Camster road; approximately half a mile along, turn right and head to Clachan (approximate arrival time 1 to 1.30pm) where there will be a food stop and a look round some machinery.
- Continue from Clachan and back onto the main road, heading to Thrumster.
- Turn left onto the Tannach road heading to Haster, then take a left back onto the main road and head for Watten and return to Bridgend.