Vital council information for festive period
Easier access to your trusted, local news. Have a look at our digital subscription packages!
Highland Council reveals its arrangements for Caithness and the rest of the region over festive period 2021/2022 and advises service users about revised opening hours and services during that time
The council advises its service users and customers of its opening hours and service arrangements over the festive period.
The Service Centre will close at 4pm on December 24, re-opening between December 29 and December 31, with opening times 10am to 4pm – it will be closed between January 1 and January 4 and open from 8am to 5pm on January 5.
Service Points will close at 4pm on December 24, operating their current part time hours from December 29 to December 31. They are closed from January 1 and will reopen on January 5 – opening hours differ depending on location with details here: www.highland.gov.uk/directory/16/visit_an_office/category/481
Inverness Registration Office will close at 4pm on December 24 and staff will be available by appointment only from December 29 until December from 10am to 4pm. It will be closed from January 1 and will reopen for appointments from 9am on January 5.
Urgent death registration appointments will also be available between December 29 and December 31 at various offices across the Highlands with local funeral directors able to provide advice on this.
Call 0300 303 1362 for support including emergency food for those in crisis including those who must self-isolate and have no other way of getting food supplies.
Contact the Council anytime online to report a problem, ask for something or make a payment here, here and here.
Recycling centres and bin collections:
There are no changes to household and business waste collection dates during the Christmas and New Year holidays. All household waste recycling centres will be closed on December 25, December 26, January 1 and January 2. For more visit here: www.highland.gov.uk/recyclingcentres
For 2022 bin calendars visit here: www.highland.gov.uk/bincalendars
Handy numbers in the event of an emergency:
In an emergency dial 999 for the police, fire and ambulance service.
For non-emergencies, you can contact the police on 101 and the fire service on 01382 835804.
Highland Council emergency out of hours phone numbers:
• Health and social care: 08457 697284
• Roads, parks, flooding and street lighting: 01349 886690
• Housing, homelessness, and public buildings: 01349 886691
• Registration: 07818 588 203
Trunk road maintenance:
• BEAR Scotland - 0800 587 1107.
• Gas Freephone: 0800 111 999
• NHS 24: Call free on 111 if you are ill and it can't wait until your regular NHS service reopens
• Police Scotland: 101 (for all services)
• Scottish Fire and Rescue Service: 01382 835804 (24 hours)
• Scottish and Southern Electric Freephone: 0800 300 999
• Scottish Water: 0800 0778 778 (24 hours)
• SEPA Floodline: 0345 988 1188
• SEPA Pollution hotline: 0800 807060 (24 hours):
The Highland Council and NHS Highland are reminding Highland residents of the importance of reaching out for help if this is needed over the festive period.
If someone is concerned about their own or someone else’s mental health, then it is important to contact their GP or to call NHS 24 on 111.
If there is a concern someone is in immediate danger then emergency services should be called on 999.
There is also a range of other helpline support in place for people needing to speak with someone:
• Samaritans: 116 123 (calls are free and do not show on a phone bill)
• Breathing Space: 0800 83 85 87
• Mikey’s Line: 07786 207755 (textline)
• Ewen’s Room: 07537 431637 (textline)
• National Scottish Domestic Abuse Helpline: 0800 027 1234
• LGBT Helpline Scotland: 0300 123 2523
• Childline: 0800 1111
• CRUSE Bereavement Care Scotland: 0808 802 6161
Should you be concerned about a vulnerable adult, whether for care, welfare or mental health reasons, you can contact the following numbers:
• Adult Protection Concern helpline: 0800 902 0042 in office hours; and out of office hours or during holiday periods: 0845 769 7284.