Home   News   Article

Dounreay strike action called off as unions receive fresh pay offer


By John Davidson

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.



Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

Strike action planned for Wednesday at Dounreay has been suspended while workers at the site consider a new pay offer.

Unite said its 600 members employed by Nuclear Restoration Services Limited (NRS) at the former nuclear complex would continue with an overtime ban and an end to working voluntary appointments during the ballot process.

But the union warned that if its members reject the latest offer, fresh strike action would be announced.

Workers from the Unite and GMB unions on the picket line at Dounreay in May.
Workers from the Unite and GMB unions on the picket line at Dounreay in May.

Unite’s membership previously rejected a pay offer which amounted to a one-off £500 payment on top of a basic 4.5 per cent increase.

Its NRS membership includes craft technicians, general operators, engineers, maintenance fitters and safety advisors.

Read more on Dounreay strikes

Marc Jackson, Unite industrial officer, said: “Unite, as a sign of good faith due to productive talks with NRS, has suspended strike action set for June 19. A new pay offer will be put to the workers to vote on and it is ultimately up to them.

“It has only materialised due to the strength and resolve of our members to get a fair pay deal.”

The GMB union has confirmed that its action planned for Wednesday is also suspended pending a ballot of members on the revised offer.


Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More