Blue bin blaze leads to gas fears at Wick property
Easier access to your trusted, local news. Subscribe to a digital package and support local news publishing.
A Highland Council blue recycling bin was set on fire at Hill Avenue in Wick this morning in what police believe was a deliberate action.
Fire services attended the scene and extinguished the blaze before gas specialists were called in to check for safety issues.
Police are currently investigating the matter which led to the street being cordoned off and residents being evacuated due to fears of a gas explosion, according to an eyewitness report.
A Police Scotland spokesperson said: "We were made aware of a bin on fire on Hill Avenue in Wick around 5.35am on Thursday, 11 February, 2021.
"The fire was extinguished by the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service. SGN were also called to assist due to proximity to a gas mains box which was damaged by the fire.
"Nobody was injured. The fire is being treated as deliberate and enquiries are ongoing."
A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: "We were alerted at 5.24am on Thursday, February 11 to reports of a dwelling fire on Hill Avenue, Wick, Caithness.
"Operations Control mobilised two appliances to the scene, where a fire was affecting the gas mains of a property. Neighbouring homes were evacuated and a cordon set up as a precaution."
Firefighters worked with the police and gas specialists to make the area safe and affirmed that there were no casualties. Smoke damage affected much of the property's façade and the remains of the bin removed.
Anyone with information on the incident is urged to call 101, quoting incident 0424 of 11 February.