Published: 11/07/2018 09:58 - Updated: 11/07/2018 09:59

Groats boss hails team's perfection

Written byMatt Leslie

THE perfect 90 minutes was what Kevin Anderson was looking for and that’s what he got as he saw his Wick Groats side win the Eain MacIntosh Cup.

Anderson’s men are in hot pursuit of the league title in a two-horse race with Pentland United.

However, despite the team’s good run of results, the Groats boss has felt he has not got the perfect performance from his team.

Against Thurso Acks in the Eain MacIntosh Cup final on Saturday at Halkirk, goals from Grant MacNab, Sandy Sutherland and John Budge helped bring home the silverware to Groats’ trophy cabinet.

After the 3-0 win, a delighted Anderson said: “I’ve said many times this season that we’ve played in fits and starts and, despite getting good results, have not made life easier on ourselves.

“However, from the first minute to the last, we were superb. We put in the 90-minute performance I’ve been looking for.

“If I was being picky, we should have gone in at half time three or four up instead of 1-0. But that’s a minor quibble.

“In the second half we picked up where we left off, dominated the rest of the game and knocked in a couple more.

“The only downside is that we lost our captain Alan Sinclair to injury. He’s pulled a thigh muscle and he left the ground on crutches.

“He’s going to have it fully examined later on this week but it looks likely he might miss the rest of the season.

Elsewhere, High Ormlie Hotspur kept up their promotion bid as they demolished Top Joes 8-0 in their latest CAFA Division Two clash.

Marc Keith’s hat-trick led the way for Spurs with other goals coming from Euan Munro (2), Andrew Mackay (2) and Ben Gordon.

In the preliminary round of the Steven Cup, FC Retro dished out a 6-2 thrashing to Francis Street Club.

Jack Steven (2), Craig Nicolson (2), Marc Nicolson and Jamie Howden were on target for Retro, with Francis Street’s goals coming from Mark Mackay and Guiseppe de Vita.

Meanwhile, in the first round of the David Allan Shield, Division One leaders Pentland United made short work of Wick Thistle in a thumping 8-1 victory.

United’s goals came from Sean Campbell (3), Murray Mackintosh (3) and Michael Petrie (2). Steven Budge grabbed Thistle’s consolation.

A Charlie Fraser treble helped Acks get over their recent cup final blues as they beat FC Retro 6-0. Louis Webster (2) and Garry MacLeod were also on target.

Keiss received a welcome victory as they thrashed Francis Street Club 5-1. Goals from Colin Mackenzie (2), Andrew Blunden, Adam Sherry and Bradley Thomson sent them on their way. John Stewart replied for Francis Street.

Penalties were needed after Halkirk and Lybster drew 4-4 with the latter winning the shootout 4-2. Lybster’s goals had earlier come from Bobby Gunn (2), MacKenzie and Jonah Martens.

Halkirk’s goals arrived via a Ryan Bain own goal, Davie Blackwood, Matthew Mackay and Davie Johnston.

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo