A RELATIVE of a victim of a World War II bombing in Wick has spoken of his disgust after vandals struck the garden created as a memorial to those who perished in the tragedy.
Wick man John Mackenzie (52), who lost four family members in the bombing, said it is not the first time the garden has been targeted and that a stone bearing the name of his grandfather had been stolen.
Early on Monday, three sections of coping stones from the top of the garden wall in Bank Row were pushed over. More than 20 feet of the stones were scattered about, some of them being broken in the process.
Businessman Martin Gill, who lives nearby, was the first to spot the damage.
“I always keep an eye on the place and I couldn’t believe what I saw,” said Mr Gill. “A very sad sight indeed.”
He duly did what he could to reinstate the wall. “Some of the stones are broken and will need to be replaced so maybe someone who knows about these things can lend a hand to get it sorted.”
Read full story in Wednesday's Caithness Courier.