Taking to the hills in winter requires a whole new skillset, as Nicole Webber discovers as she ventures out to climb her first winter Munro with her more experienced partner
Published: Sat 23 Dec 2017
"You're making it hard for yourself," she told me, and it was difficult to argue. Here I was, not much more than a couple of miles into what is usually a straightforward short run, battling through the deep snow and making slow progress.
Published: Sat 18 Nov 2017
You have to feel sorry for red grouse. They're nurtured from young birds on managed grouse moors, then just when they think life is dandy and everything on the moor is rosy, they're blasted out of the sky!
Published: Sat 11 Nov 2017
Roaring stags greet us as we trample our way up the sodden hillside, already looking forward to the sanctity of the ridge above. We can hear them but, for now, their exact whereabouts remains a mystery.
Published: Sat 21 Oct 2017
I WAS heading to Fort William to support friends racing, but as the event started in the afternoon I figured I had time to get in a run of my own before my presence to provide encouragement was required.
- Saving the best 'til last
- Coming back down with a crash
- An epic dash and splash through the Cairngorms
- Having a blast on Cairngorm plateau
- High up with the angels
- A slog in search of solitude
- On the brae to view over plateau
- Taking the smooth with the rough in Glen Affric
- Blown away by the view
- Around the wee Buachaille in Glencoe
- Axe set to fall on Highland playparks
- Wick duo set out on charity fundraiser
- Former soldier made death threats
- Police probe road rage incident
- Brandon buys legend's accordion
- Caithness moggy goes on road trip
- Bakery staff have stars in their pies
- Two injured in A9 crash
- New pledge to restore Wick eyesore building
- Police recover Wick harbour plunge car