ULLAPOOL always feels to me like the gateway to another world. The much wilder scenery of Coigach and Assynt lies beyond - wonderful sculpted mountains, lochs and sparse habitation.
Latest articles - Find out what the Active Outdoors team have been up to recently
Published: Sat 13 Jan 2018
Taking to the hills in winter requires a whole new skillset, as Nicole Webber discovers as she ventures out to climb her first winter Munro with her more experienced partner
Published: Sat 06 Jan 2018
Not everyone is a fan of the snow but there's no denying its transformational properties in the Highland landscape, and nowhere is that more apparent than in the Aviemore area.
Published: Sat 30 Dec 2017
Running up and down hills, cycling along country lanes, mountain biking on exhilarating off-road trails, taking a walk in the magnificent Highland scenery or climbing a mountain - we've covered it all in Active Outdoors this year.
Published: Sat 23 Dec 2017
"You're making it hard for yourself," she told me, and it was difficult to argue. Here I was, not much more than a couple of miles into what is usually a straightforward short run, battling through the deep snow and making slow progress.
- Walk on through to the other side
- Something to grouse about
- A noisy welcome to peaceful hills
- Getting into the spirit
- Never hurry de Moray
- Cheerleading on hold for Mamores climb
- Whisky country offers the perfect round
- Back to take the Glencoe Marathon test
- Remote route makes for an exciting ride
- From city to seclusion
To add your event to our listings for free, email email@example.com with brief details and a picture if you have one!
Get out and about this spring and summer with our latest Active Outdoors supplement.
Tell us about your adventures and send us your comments, photos, letters and route suggestions.
For details of how to advertise in our 2017 supplements, see the Active Outdoors media pack (opens as pdf document).
- Axe set to fall on Highland playparks
- Wick duo set out on charity fundraiser
- Former soldier made death threats
- Police probe road rage incident
- Brandon buys legend's accordion
- Caithness moggy goes on road trip
- Bakery staff have stars in their pies
- Two injured in A9 crash
- New pledge to restore Wick eyesore building
- Police recover Wick harbour plunge car