Published: 19/07/2012 16:42 - Updated: 19/07/2012 16:45

Wind farm extension rejected by councillors

RES UK and Ireland Limited will now consider its options for the site.
RES UK and Ireland Limited will now consider its options for the site.

COUNCILLORS were unanimous in their decision to reject an application to increase the number of turbines at a Caithness windfarm from six to 11.

The Highland Council Planning Review Body met in Thurso on Thursday afternoon when it dismissed the review of RES UK and Ireland Limited to build an extra five wind turbines at the former US Naval Base at Forss.

After a site visit, members agreed with the reasons planners gave for the rejection last year that the development would have detrimental visual impacts of the cultural area and landscape.

Chairman Thomas Prag said that the significance of the visual impact had to be the key reason behind its decision.

"This is built as an extension, but is a very significant one as it almost doubling its size and visual impact is the key thing which we take very seriously," he said.

RES UK and Ireland Limited said that it was disappointed with the decision and was now considering its options.

< Back

 

Reddit Facebook Digg Del.icio.us Twitter Bebo