THE family of Alex Herriot, the 19-year-old who died after collapsing at RockNess at the weekend, have spoken of their "unbearable" loss.
They paid tribute to the media student from Portobello, Edinburgh, who died in Raigmore Hospital, Inverness, in the early hours of Sunday.
A police investigation is under way into the teenager’s death which has been linked to drugs.
His family said Alex had been looking forward to the music festival at the shores of Loch Ness "enormously".
They said he was not a habitual drug user and had been warned to "steer clear".
"Alex, our much loved son, was happy, caring, kind, loyal and affectionate and joined in enthusiastically with any project. He was very popular with a large group of close, good friends. He was beautiful both on the outside and the inside where it matters most. He loved his life," they said.
"The fact that we will not be seeing him wandering around the house with his laptop playing his music, teasing his sister and asking if there is any food and can he have a bus fare please is unbearable."
The family added: "Alex was a joy to have as a member of our family and we were privileged to have known him for an all-too-short 19 years.
"We extend our thanks to the doctor and police at the RockNess site and to the staff at Raigmore Hospital for their kindness and their efforts to save the life of our son.
"The sudden death of our beloved son, Alex, has left his family in a state of shock and is a loss we will never get over. He was a very special person, always in a good mood, funny, interested in everything around him, immensely popular and loved by everyone who knew him."
Alex had nearly finished his HND in media and was planning to gain further qualifications by attending Queen Margaret University.
"He had everything going for him – personality in abundance, very good, close friends, a large extended family unit that supported and adored him and we are all devastated by our loss.
"We know that young people dabble in drugs and Alex had been warned to steer clear. Please, please be aware that certain drugs can kill and please don’t be the next youngster to leave their family bereft."