THE bonnie purple heather is at its best from late summer into autumn and there was acres of it on this great ride around the Cromdale hills.
Latest articles - Find out what the Active Outdoors team have been up to recently
Published: Sat 07 Oct 2017
Just getting to the start line seemed like an achievement for me in this year's Glencoe Marathon, an epic trail run over the pass of Glencoe over into the foothills of Ben Nevis.
Published: Sat 30 Sep 2017
Bikepacking from Inverness to Ullapool, John Davidson concludes his coast-to-coast mountain bike trip, taking up the tale after an overnight stop at the remote Glen Beag bothy
Published: Sat 23 Sep 2017
Bikepacking is becoming a popular way to travel through the wilds with minimal gear. John Davidson heads for the hills in the first of this two-part mountain biking adventure travelling from Inverness to Ullapool
Published: Sat 16 Sep 2017
The old packhorse bridge at Carrbridge - the oldest stone bridge in Scotland and a "must see" for any tourist venturing near the village - is 300 years old this year.
- Saving the best 'til last
- The long and winding roads of the north
- Back roads on the Black Isle
- Running wild at the Great Wilderness Challenge
- Coming back down with a crash
- An epic dash and splash through the Cairngorms
- Challenge ahead for wilderness wanderer
- Having a blast on Cairngorm plateau
- Distilling the sights and the smells of Speyside
- Away with the fairies
To add your event to our listings for free, email firstname.lastname@example.org with brief details and a picture if you have one!
Get out and about this spring and summer with our latest Active Outdoors supplement.
Tell us about your adventures and send us your comments, photos, letters and route suggestions.
For details of how to advertise in our 2017 supplements, see the Active Outdoors media pack (opens as pdf document).
- Anglers fall hook line and sinker to Golspie's Staxigoe stars
- Social security system is there to help in times of need so don't be afraid to ask
- Wick pay the penalty in North Derby defeat
- Seven cars damaged by vandals in Thurso
- Overnight flood hits services at Raigmore
- Vulcan blast reassurance
- Caithness get home tie in Caledonia quarter final
- Kara wins Blairgowrie Open without dropping a leg
- Manson is the man as Wick beat Formartine
- Petition launched to save Town and County
- Thurso cannabis factory had potential to make £123,000
- 'Miserable' thief made off with a charity cash box
- New Royal Oak find in Scapa Flow
- Thurso set to lose tourist information centre
- Cyclist's lucky escape on road full of potholes
- Fire breaks out in boat's engine room at Scrabster
- Two men rescued from sinking fishing boat
- Tin donation to foodbank in Thurso was 40 years too late
- North Highland tourism initiative fund gets 23 proposals
- Sleeping rough in Wick raises more than £1600